Monday, February 25, 2013

Glass Flowers

For Christmas this year Alex and Matt (my sister and brother-in-law) gave Braeden and I a certificate that said:

GIFT CERTIFICATE
This certificate entitles you to a double date activity that you are sure to remember. 
*Valid Saturday afternoons now through June.
*Must be a child free time and date scheduled in advance.
*Promised to be fun, unique and memorable.

We had no idea what the date was going to be, but knowing my sister if she said it was going to be fun, unique and memorable than that's just what it's going to be!

We finally found a time earlier this month when neither of our kids were sick, husbands weren't working, and babysitters were available! 
 I was excited because, one I love hanging out with my sister without kiddos it very rarely happens that we can be together and not be distracted, two I love going on dates with Braeden, three I like surprises, and four I knew it was going to fun! (five Matt I like hanging out with you too!) : ) 

We followed my sister knowing it was at Thanksgiving point, but not knowing what we were doing and pulled up here!


Holdman Studios!
I now knew it had to do something with art and I got really excited when I saw glass blowing!
When we got out of the car Alex told us we would be making glass flowers!
How cool is that? And how cool is my sister for taking us on this super fun date? 
LOVE HER!

We had a minute before we started so we got to walk around the gallery where there were some really cool glass pieces! (I want to remember this because it was hilarious so I'm going to include it) While we were walking around Matt almost tipped over a whole shelf full of glass pieces! (It makes me laugh just thinking about it!) hahahaha! Thankfully nothing fell off or broke! : ) 

They also do all the stained glass windows for all the Temples here and you can walk around the studio and see all the different pieces they are working on! 
It was pretty cool! 

When it was our time to make the flowers they showed us how to make one and than we were on!

Alex went first!

Then Matt.

Then Braeden

And I was last because I could not decide what colors to do! : ) 

It didn't take long! It was a really fast process! The glass cooled really fast so we had to be quick! And boy was it HOT! 
After we were done they immediately went and put them in an oven so they cooled slowly and didn't break! That was the worst part because you couldn't tell what it was going to look like while it was hot! The colors don't really show up until it cools and you have to leave it there over night! : ( You pretty much dream up this flower, make it, and leave without seeing it! Not cool! : ) I was so excited to see the finished products that I dreamt about them! : ) (Pathetic I know)

Luckily you don't have to wait at least 24 hours to see them!

Here are our finished flowers!

Alex's

Matt's

Braeden's
(The top color is more a lime green not yellow! It didn't picture well!)

And Jenni's

Pretty cool right? 
We think so! 
I'm not sure what we are going to do with them? 
But one day when I have a house to decorate I know I can find a place to display them! : ) 

If you ever get a change to go to Holdman Studio or if you're just at Thanksgiving Point  you should stop by and just look around! It's really neat to see all the stuff they have there and the stained glass window studio! 

Thanks Alex and Matt for the fun, unique, and memorable date!
And thank you Taya and Dave for watching the kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment