Thursday, January 17, 2013

Kyler Update

I took Kyler into the doctor on Tuesday for several reasons!
  • His cough was no longer a croup cough it had progressed into something much worse
  • I could hear phlegm when he coughed, breathed, and cried
  • He had had a fever for a couple days
  • He wasn't eating
  • He didn't have a wet diaper when he woke up that day which is very unusual! (dehydration?)
  • He had been so grumpy
  • and He just wasn't getting any better

I was worried! My poor baby! : (


On top of all that He pretty much got tortured at his appointment! 
The checkup was going ok until the doctor needed to look in his ears! One ear was great, but the other had earwax in the way so she had to scoop it out! However, she couldn't get it so she was digging and digging and Kyler was screaming and screaming while he was sitting on my lap and I was holding his arms down and holding his head aginst my chest! After two different earwax extraction tools and several minutes of screaming she could see in well enough to determine that he does indeed have an ear infection! That would be part of the reason he was so angry while she was digging around in there!

That explained the fevers and being grumpy and that could have something to do with why he isn't eating!
Luckily ear infections are easy to fix with some antibiotics and in a couple days we should be over it hurting!

On to dehydration
Even though he hadn't had a wet diaper for some 19 hours his hydration was still pretty good! I just needed to make sure to at least get some pedialite in him to keep up his hydration! 

So he had and ear infection and was well on his way to dehydration
but that didn't explain his cough and phlegm so the doctor ordered a chest x-ray!

This was the worst part! : ( 
I don't know if you have ever seen an infant have to get a chest x-ray, but it's awful!
This is the contraption they put them in to get the x-ray! 
(These are not pictures of Kyler)



Isn't that the worst thing you have ever seen?
So they sat him on this little bicycle seat then I had to stretch his arms up over his head while the x-ray tech strapped the plastic tube around him! 
He was not happy to say the least! 
And to make matters worst they system decided it needed to reboot in the middle of the x-ray so it took FOREVER! 
I know that we were doing what needed to be done to see what the next step would be to make him feel better, but while he was getting this x-ray done I felt like such a terrible mom! 
I couldn't believe I let them put my baby, my 3 month old baby, in this torture device and I helped them do it! 
Goodness I felt bad for my little man! 
Thankfully we finally got the look we needed and I could hold and comfort him again! 
And it didn't take him long to calm down and go to sleep!


The x-rays came back and thankfully his lungs are clear and he just has bronchiolitis (not bronchitis but bronchiolitis I'm not sure what the difference is!) which is a virus so there is nothing we can do but wait it out! However, if the cough and phlegm continues it can easily turn into RSV so we have to keep a close eye on it! 

So my little man has an ear infection, wont eat, and has bronchiolitis! : ( 
I haven't really seen any improvement since the doctors appointment, but nothing has gotten worse! I'm hopeful! 
We need to move on from all this sickness!

1 comment:

  1. When Katelyn was about 1, she had to have the chest x-ray. I thought I was going to strangle to technician. Made my heart ache.
    Sending you healing vibes across the miles. Love to you all.
    Northerners!

    ReplyDelete